Friday, August 23, 2019

Grass Valley, Heading for Pasties


Hi. My Barbara  (BJ) Coletta here.  I reside in California and love to travel especially in within the state where there are more than enough hidden gems to explore in one lifetime. Nancy is on hiatus so I'll be exploring solo. 

On this part of my journey, I am off to Grass Valley and Nevada City. Driving from my home I felt the excitement of visiting a nearby travel destination that never crossed my mind. I planned on dropping in on a restaurant called Marshall’s Pasties and later to Naggiar Vineyards and Winery kind of in between Grass Valley and Nevada City. 
 
GPS set I soon reached the eatery arriving a little more than an hour later to get just a glimpse of “downtown” Grass Valley, going directly to 203 Mill Street where a sign read “Marshall’s Cornish Pasties”.  Cornish? Like as in Cornish hens?  FYI, they are pronounced “pass-ties” vs “pay-sties.” 



 

The storefront looked as if it were the first floor of a 3-story home and quite inviting.  I could smell the undoubtedly savory aroma of fresh baked pasties 

Perusing the inside, I took note of framed photos and a few signs along the walls. One of the photos pictured California miners of the past while another depicted an “ad” showing a miner enjoying a pastie with the poster ad of “What is a Pastie”.  It read: “Pronounced ‘Past-e’, they are a traditional food, brought to the mining areas by the early Cornish settlers from Cornwall, England. At Marshall’s Pasties we keep our operation as close to the ‘old west days’ as possible. Our pasties are flaky baked delicacies, rolled and crimped by hand, and filled with fresh vegetables, including potatoes, onions and parsley. We prepare several varieties including, Chicken, Turkey, Broccoli and Cheese, Beef, Ham and Cheese, Vegetable and even a dessert ‘Apple Figgy’ pastie, mildly and spiced with cinnamon and a turn of raisins.”






Another photo was dedicated to the founder of Pasties, Marie Marshall, the mother of now owner Carrie Locks along with her sisters as this small restaurant is a family affair. There is a counter where you place your order to go or head to one of about five tables to enjoy on the spot. Pasties are sold in both small and large sizes. I had the opportunity to sample what was the most popular…beef.  
I was greeted by Carrie who spoke with me about how her mother started this muli-generation enterprise.  She talked about the history of the miners and the reason these pasties become popular.  Carrie shared that her father was a miner in Oregon and California. These Cornish pasties date back to tin miners needing something nourishing to eat at lunchtime as well being able to hold one in their hand. The Pasties can be served hot or cold.  I noticed an old lunch pail on display, of which was used by the miners. 





I sampled a large beef pastie, which I’m told is the most popular. Carrie told me that all of the meat is made from scratch. No “deli” meats. Meat pasties can be described as being mini-pot pies minus the gravy, having potatoes and vegetables as well.  





Pasties come in small and large sizes   Price for a small is $4.95; large $5.45.  One large pastie is definitely a meal. If you’re hungry, I would suggest two small ones for variety or just add an Apple Figgy for dessert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment